Sunday, June 18, 2006

Commenced

A couple of days ago I was handed my undergraduate degree by the President of the university, whose face was frozen in a strained smile under a silly looking cap.

And so now my views on the world are supposed to change. Although I am going straight into a Master's program and therefore am not really straying outside the bounds of the academic safety zone (safety from what? life?), I have a suspicion that things on the other side are different. Graduate students actually manage to get administrators to make eye contact with them, and are not treated by professors as anonymous, transient customers but rather as actual human beings who are around for a reason. If that's what's about to get started, then cool.

2 comments:

Forsoothsayer said...

dude...u like the book great expectations?#
anyway...mabrouk!yesterday was my graduation bardo, with similar silly hate shenanigans. what with canada being in the commenwealth, the outfits were super ridiculous. people carried staffs.

spaz said...

Funnily enough, Great Expectations is actually one of my favorite books...heh. Just because the love story is so brutal and because it's about so many damn things...Anyway, congratulations to you too, although I must say am slightly jealous that your ceremony exhibited such superior ridiculousness. Americans are not stiff enough to pull off silly formalities the way the Brits do.